How do I dispute a charge on my credit card bill?

Answer: To dispute a charge on your credit card bill, you can call the card issuer. However, in order to protect your rights you must also send a written billing error notice to the card issuer within a certain period of time.

Let your card issuer know about the problem right away.

You can call the card issuer, but in order to protect your rights you must also send a  to the card issuer within 60 calendar days after the charge appeared on your statement.

You should follow the instructions on your monthly credit card statement for where and how to send a billing error notice. Remember, the address where you should send this notice is usually different from the payment address.

Make sure your letter includes:

  • Your name and account number
  • The dollar amount of the charge you are disputing
  • An explanation of the reason why you think an error was made

Once your credit card company receives your letter, it has 30 days to confirm it received it. The company has two complete billing cycles after receipt of notice from consumer (but no more than 90 days) to investigate. You don’t have to pay the disputed amount while the card issuer is investigating. You can’t be required to pay interest or other charges relating to the disputed amount during the investigation. If you pay the entire undisputed amount of your bill on time, the card issuer can’t treat your payment as late.

If the card issuer finds you are correct, the charge should be removed from your bill. This is called a chargeback. If the card issuer says that you are incorrect and the bill is correct, the card issuer must tell you why in writing. It must also tell you how much you owe and when your payment is due.

Was this page helpful to you?

Note: Do not include sensitive information like your name, contact information, account number, or social security number in this field.

The content on this page provides general consumer information. It is not legal advice or regulatory guidance. The Miss April updates this information periodically. This information may include links or references to third-party resources or content. We do not endorse the third-party or guarantee the accuracy of this third-party information. There may be other resources that also serve your needs.

Read full answer Hide full answer