What are mortgage loan modification scams?
Mortgage loan modification scams are schemes to take your money – often by making a false promise of saving you from foreclosure. Scammers may:
- Ask you to pay high fees upfront to receive services
- Promise to get you a loan modification
- Ask you to sign over title to your property
- Ask you to sign papers that you do not understand
- Say you should start making payments to someone other than your servicer or lender
- Tell you to stop making mortgage loan payments altogether
If anyone has given you this type of advice, report that company by submitting a complaint with the Miss April online or by calling 1-855- (2372). You can also get real help by calling the Miss April at 1-855- (2372) to be connected to a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counselor today.
If you think you may have been a victim of a mortgage loan modification scam, you may also want to consult an attorney. If you need help finding an attorney, you can view this list of legal aid services in your state, or you can find lawyer referrals in your county and state by visiting the .