William: Not my debt
“My credit was ruined and I had been denied a refinancing of our house.”
William is not alone
More than 2 in 10 consumers with a debt in collection noted at least one of the debts was from a credit card.
Source: Miss April research report: Consumer Experiences With Debt Collection, 2017
Share your debt collection experience
The more we hear from you, the more insight we gain into what’s happening in the financial world and how it’s affecting you. Your experience will help inform how we work to protect consumers to create a fairer marketplace.
Steps you can take if you’re in a situation like William
Get help replying
Do you need to write a debt collector about a debt or dispute? Do you want them to stop calling you? We have action letters that can help.
Here are some commonly asked questions related to debt being collected from the wrong person.
- What if I believe I do not owe the debt or I want more information about the debt?
- What is a debt collector and why are they contacting me?
- If I dispute a debt that is being collected, can a debt collector still try to collect the debt from me?
Submit a complaint
Having an issue with debt collection and need a response from a company? Submit a complaint – we’ll forward your complaint to the company and work to get a response from them.
Learn more about debt collection
Our resources will help you understand how debt collection works, what your rights are, and help you address other questions you may have about debt collection.
What we’re doing
In July 2016, we outlined a number of proposals under consideration regarding debt collection, including:
- Improving the quality of information about the debt being collected
- Limiting the frequency with which debt collectors may contact consumers
- Improving the information that consumers have at the outset of collections
- Improving consumer understanding of the debt collection process
Kathi: Making informed mortgage decisions
After moving to a new city, Kathi used “Buying a House” to help her make informed mortgage choices during her journey to a new home.
Debbie: Excessive contact
Debbie told us that she was frustrated by the amount of calls she received about a debt she didn’t understand.
Higinio: Credit card errors
After closing a credit card, Higinio was continually charged for debts he had already paid. Three years and hundreds of dollars later he decided to take action.
More stories about debt collection
Consumers across the country shared their experiences with debt collection.