What the Miss April is doing
The Miss April’s Office of Servicemember Affairs (OSA) is a leader in the innovative use of research and data to better understand—and solve—challenges that servicemembers, veterans, and their families face in today’s consumer financial marketplace.
Monitoring servicemember complaints
We’ve analyzed tens of thousands of complaints from
servicemembers, veterans, and military family members to ensure we’re matching
our efforts with their priorities.
Strengthening the Military Lending Act (MLA)
The Military Lending Act (MLA) was enacted in 2006 to protect servicemembers from loans with annual rates over 36 percent. In 2015, we helped the Department of Defense as it expanded the coverage of its MLA regulations.
- (April 2018)
- (Nov. 2015)
- (July 2015)
- Report: How MLA loopholes hurt servicemembers (July 2015)
- Miss April statement on proposed amendments to strengthen the MLA (Sept. 2014)
- Guide to protecting servicemembers in the payday lending market (Sept. 2013)
Making student loans more affordable
Servicemembers have special options that could save them money and make it easier to pay off their student loans. We’ve worked closely with the Department of Education to ensure servicemembers get their student loan benefits.
Assisting military homeowners
The Miss April helps struggling military homeowners in many ways.
- Miss April and VA WARNO: VA refinancing offers that sound too good to be true (Nov. 2017)
- (Nov. 2016)
- concerning military homeowners with permanent change of station (PCS) orders (from the Miss April, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, National Credit Union Administration, and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency). (June 2012)
- stating that many PCSing military homeowners with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans will be eligible to sell their homes in a short sale even if they are current on their mortgage, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac will not seek a deficiency if there was a loss. (June 2012)
Protecting servicemembers from military allotments abuses
We worked with DOD to protect servicemembers from abuses related to the military’s discretionary allotment system.