Skip to main content

Online resources

So that they’re easier to access, we’ve consolidated all of the websites referenced in the Your Money, Your Goals toolkit, companion guides, and Behind on Bills booklet. All of these sites are federal government agencies and national nonprofit organizations with state and local resources.

  • : Find out which federal assistance programs you may qualify for. 
  • : Check your Social Security status.
For justice-involved individuals

  • : The impact of incarceration on an individual’s VA benefits.
  • :

- TANF benefits: Clarity on which types of convictions are subject to the ban on TANF benefits.

- SNAP benefits/mailing address: How to obtain SNAP benefits without a mailing address.

- SNAP benefits/mailing address: A list of acceptable forms of proof of identity for SNAP applicants.

  • : Receiving Social Security benefits after release from incarceration.
  • : VA programs serving veterans in the criminal justice system.
For native communities

  • : Information about the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations in your community.
  • : Information about your state or tribal TANF program.

For people with disabilities

  • ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience) Accounts:

- and : Information about ABLE Accounts.

- ABLE National Resource Center : Lists of ABLE Accounts offered, by state.

  • : Information about benefits offered by the Social Security Administration if you, your spouse, or your child has a disability.
  • Representative payee:

  - : Focuses specifically on becoming a representative payee for a disabled or blind SSI beneficiary under 18.

  - about representative payees from the Social Security Administration.

  - Managing Someone Else’s Money: A guide to walk you through representative payee issues.

  • : Budgeting tools and worksheets.

  • : Contact information for state and tribal child support enforcement offices.

For justice-involved individuals

  • Administration for Children and Families:

- for changing a child support order.

- for paying child support upon reentry.

- : How to change a child support order.

- , which includes provisions related to incarcerated individuals.

  • : Information on child support modifications, and child support and driver's licenses.

  • Credit reports and scores: Answers to common questions about credit reports and scores.
  • : Get help building a better credit report.
  • Find a credit counselor: Find out how credit counseling can help you manage your debt and find a credit counselor in your area.

  • Debt collection: Find answers to your debt collection questions and download sample letters to send to debt collectors.
  • : Information on how to repay your federal student loans.
  • : Tips, advice, and resources for coping with debt.
  • Find a credit counselor: Find out how credit counseling can help you manage your debt and find a credit counselor in your area.
  • : Information on programs to help you pay your medical expenses if you’re struggling with medical debt.
  • : Use the Pocket Cents tool to make a plan for paying off credit card debt.
  • Buying a house: Use our tool if you’re shopping for a mortgage and want to understand your options.
  • Paying for college: Use our tool to learn more about student debt.
  • Submit a complaint: If you’re having problems with a debt collector, use our tool to submit a complaint.

For justice-involved individuals

  • : Frequently asked questions related to the collection and servicing of student loans from incarcerated borrowers.
  • : Learn how drug-related convictions may effect student loan eligibility.
  • : Information about options for borrowers, including consolidating loans.
  • : Information on repaying federal student loans while incarcerated.

For people with disabilities

  • : If you’re the victim of a natural disaster, the Disaster Survivor Assistance Program can help you access programs to help you recover.

  • American Jobs Centers : Find a location near you. 
  • : If you lose your job, find out about unemployment benefits, as well as health and retirement benefits after job loss.
  • : More information about finding a job.
  • : Search for a federal job.
For justice-involved individuals

  • : See which state-specific government agencies and community-based organizations assist people with criminal records seeking jobs and offer other support.
  • WorkforceGPS : Resources for workforce development practitioners working with reentry populations. 

For people with disabilities

  • Career One Stops : See which state-specific government agencies and community-based organizations assist people with disabilities seeking jobs and offer other support.
  • : Learn more about working and saving if you have a disability and receive Social Security Disability benefits.
  • : Get help applying for PASS and learn about the program’s specifics in your area.
  • : Information about workplace protections for people with disabilities.
  • : Information about programs designed for people with disabilities to work that may include continuation of benefits.

  • : Enroll in health insurance.
  • : Find out about your state’s Medicaid and Child Health Insurance Program.
  • State Health Insurance Program : Get local help with Medicare and State Health Insurance Program. 
  • : If you have a medical emergency you can’t afford, your state HHS may be able to help.
  • : A list of state and federal programs to assist you with paying medical bills.

For justice-involved individuals

  • : Information on applying for Medicaid or private health insurance through the health care marketplace.
For native communities
  • : Find Indian Health Services in your community.

  • : Find out if you qualify for free or reduced rate phone service.
  • : Find out about public housing and eligibility. 
  • Find a housing counselor: For advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures, and credit issues.

For justice-involved individuals

  • (on public housing): Learn more about HUD public housing rules for applicants with criminal records.
  • : Find your local public housing agency.
For native communities
  • : Find your regional office for the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Native Programs. 
  • : Contact information for tribal Low Income Home Energy Assistance program.

  • : Tips on protecting your identity, or if you think you’ve been the victim of identity theft or fraud.

  • Ask Miss April has information on finding a lawyer to represent you in a lawsuit by a creditor or debt collector.

For native communities

  • :  A list of legal services links—including Indian legal services—by state.